Tuesday 14 January 2014

No-Photo-Tuesday Repeat!!

Ha ha, it's totally my thing!! No, I've been slacky....this is no better than FB updates. Sorry Grandma's!

This last week was busy and unorganized (heeeeeeello, have any of you met me!) and lovely. Abbs totally never made it to school Friday *ducks* and she's reminded me of it every morning since then. I'm sure she's going to tell her teachers that she never made it because Mom wanted to sleep in (I'm pretttttty sure I was the only one awake at 8am, and the other 3 small people were all mouth-agape-in-dream-land!!

Wee Lachie is up on hands and knees already, desperately wanting to be on the go....and I'm not going to lie - as amazing as it is to watch their little self's (yes, I said self's) become "someone", it's more than bittersweet to watch my last baby hit all of these milestones. OOOH, and shall I write it here that any dream of Lachlan being a sweet, subdued little one was squashed tonight when the words "Who coloured Lachlan with a sharpie?" came out of my mouth, only to hear Bennett reply "Him did it himselfs!!" ..... "Abby, please ensure markers/pens/pencils/crayons/paint (and paintbrushes) are not left within baby rolling/scooting distance please. Pardon? Yes...that includes carrots and pickles as well Bennett."

Parenting Points of My Week:

1) Sometimes it's a struggle with "everyone wants mom, and no one wants to share." All three have their own needs/wants and they don't always include having everyone there. Lachlan is obviously the most "physically" needy right now, and for the most part the other two are totally fine with it, but because we lack having Dad around consistently it can be a juggle during those times someone is looking for one/one time. Abby has bedshared with us since day one and I'm sure she'll be 10 by the time she moves out, but Bennett has always LOVED his own sleeping space. He doesn't like to share his space at all and when he is in our bed we laugh, he'll be dead asleep and blurt out "You're touching my pillow!!!! _____ just touched me!!!!!" But he's evolving now into wanting me (or Ty if he's home) to lay with him while falling asleep in his bed, and he doesn't want Abby or Lachlan in there. He wants to share a pillow, you need to lay under his blanket, he wants his arms around your neck - noses almost touching, and he wants to whisper/chat. This is a big evolution for him, and something that is important for his small soul. For the most part it's fine - L goes down first (like a dream might I add) and then Bennett, then Abbs. She sees nothing wrong with us all piling together to read/snuggle and drift off, but I think because how busy we are during the day (and how chatty his sister is) he saves up his thoughts and that is the time he chooses to share with us. Poor Abby just can't understand why she is excluded.... I'm trying to come up with super fun independent activities for her to do while we do Bennett's bedtime routine, as we feel it's really important to allow him this. We try to remember she had us all to herself for a really long time, and he deserves the same moments as well.

2) Winter is HARD on parent/child relationships. Frustrations with each other can max out, especially with temps being far below -20C and WINDY for most of the winter. We have busy, busy kids and they don't do well (my house suffers) when they aren't burning energy. It's easy to bundle up Lachlan in the wrap and wear him under a parka for a walk, but often the kids are wanting us (me) to run pulling them on the sled, ride on the sled down the sledding hill/luge track, wrestle in the snow (things that aren't super safe for Lachlan to be doing while being worn).... so it's nice when the milder weather is here and we can bundle him up in the stroller (which he sleeps like a rock in) so I/we can play with the older two. I have to remember I was pregnant for almost a whole year, and while I tried to do lots of fun things and not let pregnancy slow me down (hence skiing at 26 weeks pregnant) it did alter the activities we did and they did hear "sorry mommy can't do that because of the baby". SO, now I have to make the conscious effort to put baby down every now and again (which is super hard) and play with them without babe on hip!! I've been compiling a list of super fun things to do while it's cold... since we're a single income family I've been trying to cut down on driving costs when there is a plethora of things we can do at home that are fun and exciting!!

3) The kids are both going to pick an activity to do. The speed at how crazy life can be with 3 kids in activities makes me cringe a bit, but socially they both will benefit for different reasons. They are whittling down their choices, they both know they don't want swimming lessons (more on that later), and are bouncing between a few ideas. We'll see what they pick! Abby LOVES going to school and enjoys all her little friends. She's becoming quite the little "mathie" lately which is crazy to me.... it's something that has never come easy to me, I was always more into English and Sports, so her adding/subtracting in her head amazes me. Her neurons are blooming since entering school and she's been stretched/challenged in different ways - she really struggled with wanting to listen to people other than mom/dad there for a bit, and thinking that we were creating bizarre rules/boundaries for her. Going to school and having the same rules/values re-enforced has grounded her a bit in that maybe Mom/Dad are not out to lunch :) ...yes, I have had a few "See, I told you so" moments in my head. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment